Help with social issues

Please note that reference is made here to UK organisations. If you are outside the United Kingdom, please look for similar organisations in your country.


Visit for support and tips to help you keep children safe. From advice on children’s mental health to staying safe online and support for parents.

If you are worried about a child and not sure what to do, you can call 0808 800 5000 to talk to a trained counsellor for information and advice.


Cruse Bereavement Care has a National Helpline, which can offer a listening ear and emotional support to anyone who has lost someone they love, or have been affected by a bereavement. All calls are answered by trained Cruse volunteers who are there to help you talk things through.  They can also help you to find your local Cruse branch, or signpost you to other services and useful sources of information.  The freephone number is 0808 808 1677.  You can also visit

Domestic violence

If you are in immediate danger, call 999.

1 in 4 women experience domestic abuse at some point in their lives. This may be physical, sexual, emotional or psychological abuse. You can speak in confidence to your GP or social worker.  Or you can call the free confidential 24-hour National Domestic Abuse Helpline on 0808 2000 247 or visit  You can also email or use the live web chat service.

Other organisations that can help:

Last updated 31 December 2020.  Version 2.0